Wednesday 6 March 2013

We have entered the time when all will turn against us

I was skeptical of the US take on a contemporary Sherlock Holmes like most people because the yanks make nothing but shit tv inferior to our efforts like Top Gear and everything youth-related on Channel 4, and the early details suggested a potential car crash: set in NYC, Watson is a lady, stars Johnny Lee Miller, only knew it had started when someone mentioned he'd turned off a few minutes in because it was shite...
But Elementary is actually okay.  It takes an oddly divergent tack from the UK's Sherlock by not concentrating on Holmes' near-blinding arrogance (as one might expect given the success of shows like House that center on brilliant jerks) and instead on his social inadequacies, making it all very Monk-like at the start and causing me to hold out hope for an episode centering around a chimpanzee in a nappy being framed for murder.
It's nothing spectacular, but there's a confidence to the production that I don't see in stagey whodunnits like Father Brown or Ripper Street, and there's a potential endgame where a lot of what Sherlock does to Watson makes more sense if you assume that he's setting her up to eventually solve his murder, or at the very least to replace him, but the only serious gripe I have is that in one episode I suddenly hit a wall when I thought "when THE FUCK did I start thinking John Hannah in any role was a good thing?"  Spartacus, probably.

1 comment:

  1. I agree!!! I favor UK television over yank crap anyday and am a total fangirl of BBC's Sherlock. I did however enjoy Elementary and I think the show will do very well. Miller plays a very good Holmes and it's an interesting twist to see Watson as a Female. I am however patiently waiting for BBC's Shelock to come back :/

    ReplyDelete