Wednesday 30 April 2014

I'm going into that wedding to beat this man in front of God and everyone he knows

I wouldn't say that I dislike Black Box, as that would be inaccurate and lazy of me seeing as English is a wonderfully diverse and colourful language with which to blog and there are much better and more descriptive words like "hate" and "despise" out there for my use, Black Box being one of those shows that in my younger days would have had me wishing misfortune upon its makers not because I needed to chill out, but because I thought it unfair that they should profit in life through a combination of the kind of shameless creative plagiarism where a viewer with a memory that extends to last week can simply tick off in their brain where each and every plot point, character trait and even name comes from  while watching (Homeland, House, Millenium, Perception, Do No Harm, Grey's Anatomy, Crisis - the list is quite extensive as a great deal of feces is strewn across Black Box's wall) and then marries all that with the glorification of misanthropic adolescent behavior that typifies all those television shows that make you want to throw your shoe at the screen in the hope it will defy the laws of physics and travel through the television and eventually hit the characters on the head and the only thing that stops you isn't a sense of proportion but the fear of having to buy a new television because while you really do hate them that much, these shows do not actually make you any dumber.
But it isn't just that Black Box's worldview is hateful, it's also plain old terrible as a piece of television programming in itself, often resembling a pantomime crossed with a mid-90s music video in how it glamorously portrays the soft-focus effects of bipolar disorder as little more than impulse control failure that leads to kinky sex, like a thirteen year-old girl was told to watch Homeland and then create Grey's Anatomy fanfiction based upon her understanding of what she just saw, its breathy-voiced protagonist flip-flopping between personalities even before she actually has any kind of episode, but all told, I think what really got me was my calling that the main character's niece was really her daughter the actual moment her niece was introduced to the viewer, and being proved right forty minutes later when it was dropped like it was supposed to be a twist rather than creative strip-mining from another recent tv offering (Crisis) that you can see coming a mile off because nothing about what you are seeing is original, creative, or interesting, it's just rote tv production for the most undemanding of viewers.
While "shit" still seems a perfectly appropriate word to describe Black Box, after my hissy fit upstairs about writers not making the barest of efforts, I feel it only fair to rub two braincells together and offer "smegma" as perhaps being more accurate, as it conjures up images of something not so much inevitably and naturally excreted in its own time and course as it is congealed into being through a lack of care and attention.
Black Box is a smegma of a programme and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment