Wednesday 18 March 2015

Why would having a cat make you a better lesbian?

For chapter 2 - which can be read HERE - I drew the wrong version of Dredd again and refused to change it, so now it was a story about judge imposters whether Dave and Lee liked it or not.  For the record, they did not.
I think the plan in panel 1 was to draw some signs and/or advertisements on the Holding Post where arrested perps await pickup so that they performed some function other than just cluttering up the streets, but I ran afoul of limited space and resolution, though I suppose it's probably in keeping with Dredd's world that posts for cuffing citizens to are more common than street signs.
The 2nd and 3rd panels are where I tried to lead the eye from the bottom left to the top right, but it wasn't very successful and ended up too cluttered in panel 2 - the foreground character's hand is completely lost, yet also manages to obscure Dredd's costume, fluffing any kind of reveal - and too sparse in panel 3 thanks to my lazy use of solid blacks, but I refused to change it.
Chapter 3 - which can be read HERE - is a prime example of why most artists draw Dredd on some huge, throbbing machine penetrating the road ahead whether oncoming traffic wants it or not, but me, I misread "Lawmaster" as "lawnmower" and refused to change it, so even though he's supposed to be speeding along, it looks like he's just chilling and waiting out a hangover on a Sunday afternoon.  Note the continuing theme of buildings that look like sex toys, prompting me to think that it's good that I have comics drawing to fill my time and expend energy that most likely would have otherwise found an outlet in a schoolyard shooting spree.
I think this might have been when I stopped using Manga Studio's panel cutting tool because of the jaggy edges to angled lines and instead used its line tool with anti-aliasing.  In the third panel, the vehicles all look roughly the same shape despite going in different directions, and the grid I used to draw them clearly wasn't lined up very well as they look like they're all on different planes.  I think Dave might have asked me to redraw this, prompting a week-long passive-aggressive hissy fit on my part, as I believe that if people think you're an absolute nightmare to work with, they'll end up justifying all the trouble they had getting anything out of you in the first place and think you're better at your job than you actually are.  I call this the Val Kilmer method.

No comments:

Post a Comment