Tuesday 5 April 2011

You think if I had a haircut like you I could sell more policies?


I normally share my depression with everyone on a Tuesday with a sad, sad song, but this Tuesday I have been looking up comic artists' page-drawing speed and oddly, "a page a day" is a lot less common than I've been led to believe. Some of the rates are a bit sobering, actually. Don't know what to make of this new information, but I'm not as glum as I'd usually be at this time, and a Depressing Tuesday song might be hard to pick out... if I didn't used to be such a Radiohead fan.

Actually, Banana Co isn't even their most depressing song, that would be a toss-up for me between Exit Music or You Never Wash Up After Yourself, though Banana Co does have the virtue of embedding in blog posts. Radiohead for the most part I don't actually find that depressing, creating for my money songs that are less about outright depression and more about anxiety and paranoia, which is fine when you're fifteen and living in a working-class shithole and the weight of how limited your options actually are occasionally crushes the air from your chest, but once you're past 24 you're better off turning into a big music snob and telling everyone else in the factory that Leonard Cohen is where it's at. Me, I didn't even know who Leonard Cohen was until Neal off Young Ones (specifically on the dvd that came out in the late 90s with all the politically-incorrect stuff that originally made it near-the-knuckle was taken out so Ben Elton could chase a knighthood and Kenny Brannagh's friendship) lamented "I'm like a Leonard Cohen record - nobody ever listens to me."
Suzanne is a good track, and he did give the world Hallelujah so Jeff Buckley could do the definitive cover before it became overexposed - but before it did, the song was one of my favorites ever since Mark Radcliffe played it on the first anniversary of the September 11 attacks because it was his personal 'go-to' song at the time, presumably to get away from the fuckwits playing REM's Everybody Hurts every five minutes as they struggled to find an anthem for the tragedy to further package and brand it like they did when they started calling it 911. Mind you, not to blame Simon Cowell unduly, I found the song overexposed by the time the actor Alan "Jim From Neighbours" Dale had died of an onscreen heart attack to Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah in two entirely different tv shows (The O.C. and Ugly Betty).

Enough waffle, it's off to bed for me - have a good Wednesday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment